At Memorial Sloan Kettering (MSK), we're not only changing the way we treat cancer, but also the way the world thinks about it. By working together and pushing forward with innovation and discovery, we're driving excellence and improving outcomes. For the 28th year, MSK has been named a top hospital for cancer by U.S. News & World Report. We are proud to be on Becker's Healthcare list as one of the 150 Great Places to Work in Healthcare in 2018, as well as one of Glassdoor's Employees' Choice Best Place to Work for 2018. We're treating cancer, one patient at a time. Join us and make a difference every day.
The Integrative Medicine Service at MSK was established in 1999. As the first integrative medicine program in a major cancer center in the US, we have been leading the field in clinical care, research and education for the past 20 years.
Our massage therapy team consists of the top experts in the field of oncology massage. We are seeking an experienced Massage Therapist to join our team. In this role, you will provide massage therapy to patients at the Main Hospital and/or Outpatient Integrative Medicine Center to help relieve their stress, tension, and pain prior to and following surgery/treatment. Apply today!
* Assess therapeutic needs and goals of patient in collaboration with physician/health care team and patient.
* Review patient charts and discern the type of treatment (e.g., platelet count may be too low for regular massage).
* Prepare a written individual plan of care for each patient suitable to the patient's medical status (e.g., type of cancer, stage of cancer, physical condition, etc.) so that pressure is applied to appropriate areas, at appropriate pressure levels, and at appropriate frequency.
* Provide all massage therapy specified in the patient's plan of care. As appropriate, utilize eastern and/or western massage techniques to relieve patients' tension, stress, and pain and relax them prior to surgery/medical treatments, after treatment, or during the course of treatment.
* Advise health care team of any contraindications to massage treatment, special precautions, marked changes in a patient's condition, and unusual incidents.
* Communicate procedures and plan of care to the patient prior to the therapeutic session. Monitor feedback from the patient throughout session. Elicits feedback from patient regarding quality of care.
* Assist and/or instruct patients to dress, undress, don and doff assistive devices (e.g., braces, prostheses, etc.) prior to and after massage treatment. Assist or supervise transport of patients to and from treatment areas, when needed.
* Document all massage therapy treatments provided on the day the service is given, including patient's reaction to treatment. Provide progress notes to health care team as requested.
* Teach massage techniques and the benefits to staff and patients' families and friends.
* Oversee and/or clean work area and equipment after treatment.
* Capable of building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
* Adept at building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives and goals
* An effective communicator, capable of determining how best to reach different audiences and executing communications based on that understanding.
* Actively seeking new ways to grow and be challenged, using both formal and informal development channels.
* A diploma from an accredited massage therapy school
* A current New York State license in massage therapy and certification as a massage therapist
* At least 2 years of oncology massage therapy experience, preferably with breast cancer patients
* Training in at least 2 massage modalities (including neuromuscular, myofascial release, manual lymph drainage, shiatsu, etc.)
Day, evening and weekend shifts required
MSK is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer committed to diversity and inclusion in all aspects of recruiting and employment. All qualified individuals are encouraged to apply and will receive consideration without regard to race, color, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, age, religion, creed, disability, veteran status or any other factor which cannot lawfully be used as a basis for an employment decision.
Federal law requires employers to provide reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities. Please tell us if you require a reasonable accommodation to apply for a job or to perform your job. Examples of reasonable accommodation include making a change to the application process or work procedures, providing documents in an alternate format, using a sign language interpreter, or using specialized equipment.
Associated topics: home care, lmt, massage, massage therapist, masseur, masseuse, reiki, sports massage, swedish massage, therapy
* The salary listed in the header is an estimate based on salary data for similar jobs in the same area. Salary or compensation data found in the job description is accurate.
Loading some great jobs for you...